Translate

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

NO HELP FOR PARENTS OF ABUSIVE CHILDREN

            I’ve thought long and hard about this posting, mainly because it’s a very sensitive topic to me personally and secondly because I believe the word “abuse” is pandered around too frequently making almost any action a person takes somehow destructive to another human being.  We can thank Child Protective Services (CPS) for this overused and misdirected concept of what truly constitutes abuse.

As an example of the misdirected verbiage of abuse, not that long ago the headlines ran a story about a school personnel taking away the lunch of a student because it did not meet some bureaucrat’s definition of a healthy lunch.  There was a meat sandwich and piece of fruit included in the lunch the mother provided but the mother of that child was verbally deemed to be “abusive” to her child for not providing the child with a mandated healthy lunch (again determined by some moron bureaucrat).  Was that really “abusive” behavior?  Since when can a parent not make a determination of what their child can or cannot take to school as a lunch?  If the child wants a bag full of candy for lunch (not that I would recommend that outside of letting them get sick to prove that eating a bag of candy is probably not the most wisest decision) then it’s no-one else’s business.  I have a nephew who, as a young child, would only eat cereal.  The doctor told us that if that’s what he wants then just let him eat it – it certainly wasn’t making him unhealthy.  So we let him eat cereal.  Today if we were to do that – we would have been investigated for “abuse” in the form of negligent nutrition.  Give me a break.

In another instance, I told one of my children to take their shoes off of the sofa or put their feet on the floor.  This child got up and called the police – stating that I was abusive in making them feel uncomfortable.  CPS had been at the school instructing the students that “anything” anyone says or does that makes them feel uncomfortable is considered “abuse” and they are to report any incident to CPS or the police.  My asking them to remove their shoes made them feel “uncomfortable” and, therefore, they interpreted that as being a “fact” that I was being “abusive” to them.  The same thing happened another time when I asked this child to push their chair in at the dinner table once they stood up to leave.  The police showed up at my door because I had made my child “uncomfortable” which is a form of “abuse”.  Again – are you freaking kidding me?  I mentioned this ridiculousness to the CPS person who simply said, “Oh yeah, we tell the kids that so they can feel safe.”  What?  In other words, anything a parent asks a child to do (such as clean their room, take out the trash, unload the dishes, etc.) that the child does not want to do is grounds for the child to call either CPS or the police to report their parent for abuse.  Do you ever get the feeling that this world has gone mad?  But I’m getting away from the topic on hand – that being what does a parent of an abusive child do?

First off, let’s define the TRUE meaning of what constitutes abuse.

Abuse is a repeated act, either verbally or physically, rendered with the intentional design to inflict either emotional or physical harm to another.

The two things we need to focus on here are “repeated act” and “intentional”.  What this means is that a parent can repeatedly tell a child to clean their room (since clearly once is never enough) but that repeated act is not an “intentional” design to inflict emotional or physical harm.  It’s to instill cleanliness and orderliness and the understanding of how a family unit needs to work together on all levels, including taking care of the household and to learn to work within the laws of our land because there will always be someone telling them what they can and cannot do to fit into society as a whole.

Let’s face it that we all at times throughout our lives say things verbally to others that do inflict emotional distress but those times were not “intentional” but merely misguided and are rarely ever “repeated acts”.  So if a person says something that affects your emotional state, you cannot simply cry out that they were being abusive.  It doesn’t meet the criteria of actual abuse.

Clearly there are true incidents of abuse in the world and the cruelest being levied upon children but if you look to CPS, they will have you believe that the act of parental abuse is rampant when in truth – it is a very rare thing.  The fact that CPS now deems anything a parent says that a child does not like is to be classified as being abusive will make CPS declare that abuse is on the rise.  In fact, in one recent statistic I saw, CPS stated that one in every three households contains an “abusive” parent.  Really?  One in every three?  How lame and, more importantly, how damning to millions of “innocent” parents.  So if CPS deems anything a parent asks a child to do as being abusive – then what does it deem abusive that a child does to a parent?  Answer:  (And this came directly from a child psychologist – don’t get me started) – “Children cannot lie or be abusive.”  Like – what planet does this person think their living on?  And what’s this all about “bullying” in schools?

Unfortunately, far too many people seem to agree with the not-from-this-planet psychologist because as I began to research the internet for help available to parents who are victims of abusive children (both younger and older children), I could barely find a thing.  Every time I would input “abusive child” the search engines would bring up “abusive parent”.  It didn’t seem to matter how I would try and rephrase my search line to find assistance for abused parents, it always came up abusive parents or abused child.  Come on now – my husband and I cannot be the only ones who have been subjected to abusive children who have committed “repeated acts” of “intentional” design to inflict emotional harm – and find delight in doing so.

It took me a while but I did find one blog where parents expressed their own frustration of not knowing what to do about their abusive child and not knowing where to go to get help.  Talk about an ignored group of people who are in desperate need of some help – even if it’s just to have someone listen to them, understand their anguish, know that they are, in fact, being abused by their child or children and who need reassurance that their parental acts of caring did not and do not warrant the treatment they receive from their children.  That they are not the monsters their children would like them to believe and who delight in telling others how horrific their parents are just to get more digs in and to alienate their parents from other family members and friends.  And, I’m sorry, but the repeated responses I saw given to these parents who were seeking help was to either eliminate the child from their life or to be extra “sweet” to the child.  Those responses are simply not viable answers.  In fact, they’re quite lame.  This is not a one size fits all situations problem.

Being a parent of abusive children, I have felt my own share of total and complete frustrations.  It’s like no one really understands and you feel totally alone and start thinking something is wrong with you.  I have even asked God why he has allowed this and then one day I got to thinking – how many of God’s children abuse him?  If anyone knows how we feel – believe me He DOES!  So my next question was – how do we get support for each other?  That one is a little more tricky because I’m still not sure of how to obtain the resources but I figured I’d start out by writing this blog post.  I’m opening the door to all those parents who have been and who are being abused and feel that they have no where to turn.  I don’t have answers for you – I’m trying to find my own answers – but I’d like you to feel free to comment here and know that there is someone at least willing to listen – sometimes that’s all we really need.  Maybe in time, if enough come and vent – we can begin to work together to help each other.  Maybe I’m a little over optimistic in this pursuit but for now – I’m offering you a sounding-off platform.  I hope you take advantage of it and come to realize that you are not alone.  We know - we feel – we understand.

An abused parent,
Chris

8 comments:

  1. I have a 16yrs old son who is always calling me names bitch, ect, and always never satisfy for what he has and always wants more and i tell him he needs to get a job which he can with his brother inlaw at his business and has done it but not enough to where he can buy all his wants, not need cause i provide his needs. He has shoved me and has hurted me with pushing me and i had to grab him but im short and he is tall and fast im always with pain in my body, i suffer fybromyilla and also hurt in my heart for he takes all his anger at me cause he has anger problem thanks to his dead beat dad! I at times do not know what else to do but to call the police but i do not want to cause it will ruin his record and he wants to go to the service. I just keep praying and hopefully he fights less with me. He says he wants to hurt me cause im so lazy and do not jump at his commands. I try to help him as much as i can but no progress, ive try counseling like two times and he just do not want to go no more, just keep me in your prayer! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your circumstance. I do pray that, in time, your son will come to learn of the pain he has inflicted. Sometimes we will have to wait until they become a parent and experience the same insensitive, destructive treatment from their own children before they fully comprehend what they have done. I, thankfully, have one child now who is coming to that realization and though tensions were high at one time - we are now on the road to reforming a great relationship. With one of my children, who suffers from several mental health issues - I never know from day to day what to expect so I pray - I pray a lot for patience and understanding. I hope, for you, knowing that others know of your trials and, more importantly, believe in you, will give you some solace. I am no expert but perhaps a strong male influence in your son's life can help him find his way - someone he can actually look up to who has good values and shows you respect. It won't happen overnight or even over a few weeks, but maybe with good influence, within a year you could see a big turnaround. At the least, this might be something to think about. Again - thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Wow, very well written! I agree with every point you made. I am going to take your advice and write about my situation, if only to get it out of my system. I have a 19 yr old son with very intense anger issues. His father abandonded us when he was 8 with no explanation, never to look back. That is when it all started. There has been much more that has happened in our lives to stoke that anger in the last 11 yrs but it is to much to write about. Bottom line at the moment is I am trying to get him to move out of the home. He refuses. His anger and hatred towards me, and his sister, is so intense it has gotten to the point that our whole family is in a breakdown. I have given my son everything I possibly can to help him through all of this. I'm completely tapped out. In everything sense of the phrase. I love him, but cannot allow this behavior any longer. I'm lost, I'm scared, I feel hopeless and helpless. In his mind, he's justified and right, I'm wrong regardless. Any advice would be very much appreciated! Sincerely, Broken Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to voice your inner concerns. Believe me, I can relate to your circumstances, even though mine differ somewhat. I am not an expert in this area - to be honest, I'm not certain any parent is - but one advice that was given to my husband and I was to write up a written contract with the abusive child. Our contract had a list of things the child had to do if they wished to live in our home. By law, a parent can legally throw a child out of the home when they turn 18. Naturally we didn't want to throw our child out - what would they be facing then to cause us even more worry - but we couldn't stand the constant abuse either. So we drew up a list that included items such as: 1. You will show respect to your parents at all times. 2. You will not use foul language in the home. 3. You will clean up your room. 4. You will treat your siblings with respect. 5. You will not use the house as a hang-out for your friends. 6. You will pay $___ per month towards your food and shelter. You are solely responsible for your clothing and any personal hygiene needs. 7. If you are going to be out late you will call us and let us know an approximate time that you will be home. If any of the rules are broken, pack your bags and move out. The law is on OUR SIDE. It may seem a little harsh but these are a couple of the items we had on the contract and, yes, the contract is onesided - they don't get to add rules to "your" household rules. The next step is to get them to sign the contract. If they don't - tell them to go packing. Our child refused to sign and even packed up some bags but when it came to actually walking out of the house - she didn't do it. She picked up the contract and signed it. We stuck it to the refrigerator door as a reminder. The contract worked for us for about 4 months and then things began to slip. We eventually found her an apartment and moved her out. Believe it or not, once she was moved out our relationship actually got better. BUT it was really hard to move her out but for our sake, really for all of our sakes, it was the best thing we could do. We still have lots of struggles but they have lightened up a lot and we not longer have the tension in our home. Don't know if this will work for you - you must stay firm - but it might be something you can, at the very least, try. Again, thank you for sharing. You do have many who understand and feel for you.

      Delete
  3. Hi. My son is 19, I adopted him on his 16th birthday. He moved in with my partner and I almost 4 years ago. When we first started visiting him, I think we have him too much power. We had not been parents before and wanted him to feel comfortable. Shortly after he moved in, he became very verbally abusive with me. It escalated into physical violence. The police have been here many times and he had been hospitalized for his violence. We tried military school a year ago & he was kicked out after being arrested for assault. We bailed him out of jail & brought him home. A few weeks later, he left & moved into his girlfriend's because we told him, "no." He was homeless all last summer,.staying here & there & not working. We let him back in the house to finish high school, which he surprisingly did.

    He had been in therapy off & on a didn't want to work for anything in his life. Since he came back hinge, he hadn't been physically fluent but the verbal abuse continues. I am a very sensitive woman & I don't handle his purposeful attacks on me. Last eek, he told me that mean us just who he is now so he can protect himself in case someone is mean to him. He didn't want to be nice & then get hurt.

    That hurt me a great deal. He does not respect either of us as his parents or even as people really. He is enrolled in college & works because that is a requirement of him living with us.

    I feel like I have run out of reserve to handle his constant verbal disregard for me mostly and his other mom too. I haver mostly given up asking anything of him because I do not want to deal with him. He refuses to help around the house & tells me to go to my room if I can hear his music or whatever in the living room when it is coming from his room.

    I want too kick him out but I'm afraid that would just maker matters worse for him. My sister tries to tell me her is acting like a teen & it's normal but I disagree. I believe we created part of the problem but I also think some of it comes from 13 years of abuse & neglect. Most days lately I regret wanting him. I am sad beyond words.

    Part of me thinks I asked for this because I adopted him & I should put up with out because of his past. Party of me thinks her may never learn how to be kind. Part of me thinks he erik only learn if we kick him out & part of me thinks that will be the final nail in his coffin, securing for him that he will continue down the road of his biological family.

    I get that he is hurt & doesn't trust us to stick around but that us still no excuse to be abusive. I know he listens because he had grown some & repeats back to me things I have told him. I don't know what to do. I do not know when a parent should act in their own best interest instead of their child's. There is no right answer, only a whole bunch of awful options. I'm so desperate, I'm thinking of moving out for a bit.

    I only work part-time & most of it is at night so I spend a great deal of time home alone with him. He is not as mean to his other mom but still is some. I want to each out to my family but I am very afraid of being judged. I used to talk to my mom about it but then she started reading him differently.

    I appreciate the opportunity to express all that is in my head in the middle of the night when nothing can be done. Thank you for your post!

    Another abused parent, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Laura for your post. We "abused" parents often suffer in silence. There are no simple or quick answers but, as my reason for making this article was to sound-off and be heard, that is what I believe our first step is in "healing" ourselves. We need to speak up and know that someone else is listening. Even if they can't actually do anything, they can listen. Sometimes that's all we really need at first. Then that, in time, will give us the strength to do the hard things and that often means letting go of the abuser. Pray for them and hope that one day they will come to understand just what it was that they did to us. Some will come to that understanding and then come back humbly into the fold of the family. Others may never reach that point. For those, we need to love them from a distance. But never forget that we need to love ourselves as well. So love and care for yourself and let God take care of your son. It might not be exactly what you want to hear but hard love is often the best love around.

    My best to you.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chris! I have been doing a great deal of reflecting on my relationship with my son and even more talking about it in therapy. I have come to the difficult to accept and sad realization that I have played a part in how he has treated me. I'm not saying what he has done is ok, I'm simply saying the longer I let it go on without action, the more the behavior exists. He of course has plenty with which to deal and in the mean time, I have much hard work ahead off me.

    I remembered a story a foster care child therapist told us about being consistent... She says we must be like broken soda machines and not give up or give in even once because if a broken soda machine gives a soda even once, people will keep persisting to get another soda from it. Their behaviors may even escalate in their attempts to get another soda.

    Of course, that it's easier said than done and no one is perfect ever but it is a good visualization of the importance of consistency. I have failed in having a consistent healthy response to my son's behavior.

    I am hoping we have turned a corner, and even if it is a dead end, it restores my hope in his ability to have regard and kindness for others. I am sure we will have set backs and I am sure I will enjoy this calm, kind period while it lasts.

    I will close by saying he will be moving next month by his own choice to a different state where we have family. Putting him out on his rear-end may have been in our best interest but it certainly was not in his so we got creative. Thanks again!

    A little more hope and a little less hurt, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,

    It sounds like you are on the road to recovery and, for your son, hopefully he is on the road to growing up and learning what he had.

    The next step to work on is that of forgiveness - not only of your son but of yourself. Forgiveness comes in 2 parts - the forgiving and the forgetting. If you don't forget - then you'll never forgive. It took me a long time to understand that because so many things had happened to me that I would never "forget". But I learned that "forget" doesn't mean you have no memory of it but it means that you can remember what happened - without feeling the hurt, anger and pain. Once you look back on what has been done to you without feeling the anger, pain, heartache - but instead see an understanding and a moving forward - then you have reached forgiveness and - forgiveness is for "us". That's why forgiviness is so important - the other person may not even know you have a grudge or hurt or anger so they live their lives merrily - but you are being torn up by your feelings. Once you truly forgive, a weight is lifted from you. It's amazing how clearly we can see things once that weight is lifted. So my prayer for you now is to find the forgiveness you so very much deserve!

    All the best wishes,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete